Childsmile at nursery and school
Every 3 and 4-year-old attending nursery in Scotland (extended into some P1 and P2 classes in schools), is eligible to be offered:
- free daily supervised toothbrushing within their nursery or school
- free dental packs, which contain a toothbrush, toothpaste of at least 1000 parts per million (ppm) fluoride and oral health messages
- oral health education for your child.
In some local authority nurseries, Childsmile teams will visit your child’s nursery and:
- talk to parents and carers about the programme and answer your questions
- give you a fluoride varnish consent form (and help you to complete it)
- apply fluoride varnish to teeth (twice a year)
- advise parents about caring for your child’s teeth at home.
They make sure that as many children as possible benefit from being part of Childsmile. Find out which Childsmile staff you’ll meet at your child’s nursery.