Childsmile combines targeted and universal approaches to tackling children’s oral health improvement through the four programme components (Core, Practice, Nursery and School).
This combination will provide a comprehensive pathway of care that is tailored to the needs of individual children.
It is envisaged that every child in Scotland will have access to Childsmile.
At a population level, every child will have access to:
- A tailored programme of care within Primary Care Dental Services.
- Free daily supervised toothbrushing in nursery.
- Free dental packs to support toothbrushing at home.
Directed support targeting children and families in greatest need through:
- Additional home support and community interventions.
- An enhanced programme of care within Primary Care Dental Services.
- Clinical preventive programmes in priority nursery and primary schools and facilitation into dental services as appropriate.
- Daily supervised toothbrushing in P1 and P2 priority primary schools.